But I neglected to ask my own husband for help or guidance in homeschooling.
I share this with the hope that you will learn from my mistakes.
I was never intentionally ignoring his wisdom, I was simply wrong in my thinking.
You see, I have always been the primary teacher for our five boys.
I cook, I clean, I teach.
My husband has always worked very hard as the provider of our home.
He is a brilliant computer guy who is always up to his eyeballs with the latest technology.
I always thought this meant he didn’t know what the boys needed as far as “school” was concerned.
Boy was I wrong!
True, Hubby is too busy at work to:
- pick out science experiments
- choose curriculum
- grade math tests.
That’s where I always failed.
I thought since he wasn’t involved in the “small” homeschooling things that he wouldn’t have anything to offer besides support for me.
Sheesh. I was so wrong.
While I do still struggle with this mindset from time to time, I have learned to prioritize not just including my husband, but rather allowing him to lead us in our homeschooling adventure.
How does My Husband Lead without being the day to day teacher?
- He helps cast a vision for our homeschooling.
- He keeps me focused on the Lord.
- He reminds me that character trumps curriculum. Every. Single. Time.
- He reminds me to focus on life skills and “an attitude of learning” rather than any particular topic.
- He helps me regulate my own schedule so I do not spin myself into the ground.
- He trusts me to choose curriculum and teaching topics that align with our family while educating our boys.